Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hayley

My most current illustration project is on hold for the time being. I am getting lots done here. I have felted the baby raccoon and now this, my friend's elderly black lab named Hayley. I think it is a pretty good likeness. I started with a simple wire armature that looked essentially like a stick figure of a dog. I then wrapped the armature with white wool roving (because I have plenty of white and not as much black) and needle felted it until it was secure. I then covered it with a thinner layer of black, and felted it on, sort of sculpting by adding a little here or there as I went along. The final touch was some white fibers on the muzzle and chest. Here's the finished product:

3 comments:

Phyllis Harris said...

Wow! You are so good at this, Liza! This is so beautiful!

Paige Keiser said...

I tried felting once - was really fun but it hurt my wrist (all the quick stabbing). This turned out beautifully, you're very skilled!

Kate Greenough Richardson said...

this is really appealing, I enjoyed hearing about your process.