1) What is the working title of your next book?
If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws, written by Kim Norman, illustrated by me
2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
Kim and I did another book together called Ten on a Sled, which featured these same characters on a wild sled ride. The words for that book were inspired by the children's song, "Ten on the Bed". The book was fun and Kim and I both wanted another adventure for this group of characters. Kim worked her magic on another old favorite "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands", and voila. (I make it sound simple, but I know it's not)
3) What genre does your book fall under?
If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws is a picture book
4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Well this is kind of complicated, so I will stick to the major players.
The polar bear: motherly and besotted by caribou = Meryl Streep
caribou: all business, sometimes enjoys the attention of the polar bear =Daniel Day Lewis
moose: zany and fun = John Cleese
squirrel: goofy adventurer = Owen Wilson
I'm sure there must be a role in there for Ryan Gosling.
5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
In a twist on the old favorite song, "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands", ten arctic animals' romp in the snow leads them to an icy adventure they'll need some extra help solving.
6) Who is publishing your book?
7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Well, I really don't know, since I was not responsible for that part of the book. Any amount of time was too long for me, because I couldn't wait to get started on the pictures.
8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Caralyn Beuhner's SNOWMEN AT NIGHT
9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I am adapting this question to suit an illustrator (and aspiring author). My answer is my own children, and children that I observe every day. They are always doing hilarious things that inspire what I draw.
10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
In addition to the original cast of ten from our first book, I have added a funny little little character that sneaks his way into the pack. You'll have to check him out and see what adventure he has planned for himself.
Thanks for visiting. Next week, head on over to learn about Anik and Maggie's latest books.