I just finished a painting that I will use as a mailer this winter. I thought it might be interesting to see the evolution of the final product.
This was my first sketch:
My next sketch is a little more developed:
I tried to keep my colors muted and the background loose, to give the atmospheric snowy feel I wanted and to keep the attention focused on the interaction between the characters. There was a definite awkward stage, that I am sorry to not have scanned. It would have been nice to see that I was able to push through (I hope) and get it to where I wanted it.
Here's the painting before snow, and final details:
So here it is, snowy and chilly. Now off to the printer!:
Well, almost. One more change suggested by my husband. I changed the streetlights so they weren't quite the same as the twinkle lights. While I was at it, I straightened out the buildings. Now it's time to put it down.